Thursday, September 20, 2012

BBT




I remember thinking to myself “What the heck is bbt?” Is this a new TV channel or one of those three letter Government Agencies? Well, bbt is Basal Body Temperature. Let me tell you I wish I could go back to my blissful unaware state.  Why bbt? Your bbt is used to chart signs or ovulation and pregnancy.  I guess it can also be used in natural family planning.  Personally I hate it.  Here is why:  Who wants to wake up and stick a thermometer in (insert favorite place to take your temperature here).  Then there are all these guidelines and factors for bbt.  For example: you need at least 6 hours of sleep or when you wake up you can’t talk, pee or move.  You have to take your temperature right away.  Then you have to track the results on a chart or app.  Keep in mind that your bbt is also influenced by many factors such as:

Illness

Stress

Shift Work

Interrupted Sleep or Oversleeping

Drinking Alcohol

Travel and Time Zone differences

Gynecologic disorders

Medication

                It’s way more involved than I thought it would be. Personally I think it’s just a way to help you feel like you’re in control or there is something you can do to help yourself in the infertility journey.  When in truth you really aren’t in control.  If we were in control we would already have kids by now.  Sometimes I just wish this whole process was so much easier.  I really envy women who I swear their husbands just look at them and their pregnant.  There is none of this charting, ovulation sticks and scheduled love lives.  So what are your thoughts on bbt?  Any success or is it even helpful?

No comments:

Post a Comment